Posted on 01/03/2014 by
Homographs and Heteronyms
Homographs are words of like spelling but with more than one meaning. A homograph that is also pronounced differently is a heteronym.
- The bandage was wound around the wound.
- The farm was used to produce produce.
- The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
- We must polish the Polish furniture..
- He could lead if he would get the lead out.
- The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert..
- Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.
- A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
- When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
- I did not object to the object.
- The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
- There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
- They were too close to the door to close it.
- The buck does funny things when the does are present.
- A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
- To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
- The wind was too strong for me to wind the sail.
- Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear..
- I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
- How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?
No wonder good writing is difficult.
Book Review: When Raven Dances
Polly Bigelow’s book received a wonderful review in the Seward City News <http://sewardcitynews.com/2013/12/fiction-book-reveals-sewards-ww-ii-history-through-a-childs-eyes>. Polly’s positive book review demonstrates the success an author has by contacting the media, giving them a copy of the book, and being available for an interview. An author is a celebrity in the mind of many and the media is willing and anxious to report and advance the author’s celebrity status.
Autographed Copy Stickers
Booksellers and market savvy authors know that autographed copies help sell books. When finishing up at a book signing, offer to autograph remaining copies and ask if the store has autographed copy stickers. If the store doesn’t have stickers, you should have a supply of your own to put on your books. Also, when you’re in a store and see your book displayed, ask store personnel if they’d like you to autograph the books; and again ask if the store has autographed copy stickers. If they don’t, then be prepared to supply your own autographed copy stickers. If you don’t have autographed copy stickers you can order them through AAA Label Company. The cost is $7.25 for a roll of 1,000 stickers with a three roll minimum order, plus $6 shipping.
We continue to encourage authors to schedule book signings. Just go to our website, click on Book Signings, follow the prompts, and schedule your signing. We’ve attached a PDF file copy of Tips For Making A Book Signing Successful. You should find this helpful, not only about what to do at a signing, but also pre and post signings tips. When scheduling a signing at Costco please be wise in selecting the date and time. All Costco signings are for two hours only. Of course you may ask to stay longer if the 20 book sales requirement has not been achieved. There are no time restrictions at other signing venues with the exception of Barnes and Noble. It’s beneficial if you’ll let us know how the signing went and include a photo with you and a purchaser with your banner in the background.
We extend our gratitude to the 29 participating authors at this year’s highly successful ReadAlaska. Daryl Pederson, of D & M Photography, who provided the photos for his daughter’s book, A Is For Alaska, graciously photographed all of the authors who were present one afternoon at ReadAlaska. We’ll be sending you your copy of Daryl’s ReadAlaska photo in a personal email.
Author Personal and Publicity Photograph
Every author needs a professional publicity photograph. This is especially important for authors with a new book which requires a professional photo for the back cover. Professional photos are expensive–real expensive. However, we’ve arranged with Daryl for a special price of $95 for author’s publicity photos. This is a bargain. To schedule a photo session for your professional publicity photo kindly contact Daryl for an appointment. Daryl understands what is needed.
D & M Photography
1411 West 33rd
Anchorage AK 99503
Cell 907 717-5999
For the special price, just let Daryl know that you’re a author with Publication Consultants.
Thanks again for allowing us to be your publisher.
Keep in touch,
Publishing the works of authors worldwide!
8370 Eleusis Drive
Anchorage, Alaska 99502
(907) 349-2424 Fax (907) 349-2426
Publication Consultants, book publishers, has established a legacy of providing authors opportunities for expression, preserving histories and stories, and bringing joy to readers and writers; and, doing so in an atmosphere of mutual respect and integrity. If you’ve written a book, if you’re writing a book, if you’re thinking about writing a book, or if you know someone who is writing a book go to www.PublicationConsultants.com